Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Sarnia, Canada
No location/work authorization restrictions found.
Shell is a global group of energy and petrochemicals companies with over 90,000 employees in more than 70 countries and territories. In Canada, we have operated for over a century and are a major producer and marketer of oil, gas and petrochemicals. We deliver energy responsibly; operate safely with respect to our neighbours and work to minimize our environmental impact. We are in search of remarkable people who will thrive in a diverse and inclusive work environment to deliver exciting projects locally and globally. People who are passionate about exploring new frontiers. Innovators and pioneers. People with the drive to help shape our future.
Reporting to the Instrumentation Team Lead, the Instrument Engineer/Specialist is accountable for the integrity, reliability and operations of all instrumentation and control designs within their assigned area of the plant. The Instrumentation Engineer will advise Technical, Maintenance and Operations departments on instrumentation and control matters to ensure safe, reliable and efficient operation and compliance to provincial and federal codes and standards.
- Provide instrumentation and control leadership to the assigned area, including engineering, maintenance, and project departments.
- Lead engineering activities covering key areas of instrumentation: analyzers, flow metering, level, temperature, pressure measurement; and control: conventional control strategies for manufacturing operations.
- Key involvement with Safety Instruments System to review process safety requirements.
- Author plant changes within the instrumentation and control discipline and contribute to reviews and approve instrumentation and control content of plant changes by other disciplines.
- Conduct or lead failure analysis and causal investigation of instrumentation and control failures or incidents.
- Provide advice, leadership, auditing and design, of instrumentation and control activities to all departments.
- Network with other sites and company personnel to maintain a high quality of work and proactively prevent problems related to instrumentation and control.
- Provide leadership and training for maintenance personnel in the instrumentation discipline.
- Lead or champion instrumentation equipment upgrades and replacement planning.
- Manage the turnaround instrumentation plan and work list for assigned area
- Oversee implementation of instrumentation work during turnarounds.
- Engineering degree
- 10+ years relevant petro-chemical industrial experience (or equivalent) covering all aspects of design and engineering in the instrumentation and control discipline; preferably in a refinery or large industrial facility.
- Strong background in instrumentation, analyzers, custody meter and control discipline for industrial/petro-chemical applications.
- Good knowledge of safe work practices and engineering obligations in an industrial environment including change management (MOC) work processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of Canadian and Ontario Electrical Codes and Standards.
- Good knowledge with maintenance practices (GSAP), project scope development, turn-around and long term planning.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot, and resolve instrumentation and control problems with maintenance and operations.
- Computer Skills (Word Processing, Spreadsheets, Planning and databases).
- Utilization of problem solving techniques to resolve design and engineering issues.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline team environment consisting of Engineering, Projects, Maintenance, and Operations in order to manage the execution of the detailed instrumentation engineering design work and troubleshooting.
- Organized, thorough, and professional.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with peers and clients.
- Ability to articulate and defend a case for change or improvement.
Learn More about Shell: Watch their Life at Shell Video